Scholarships – Applications Closed
Every year YWCA Northwestern Illinois grants scholarships to assist local students pursing a higher education. On March 1, 2021, The Bright Future Scholarships were awarded to Briana Reagan, Belvidere North High School and Raneem Qassem, Auburn High School and the La Voz Latina Scholarship was awarded to Angelique Tejeda, Auburn High School. Congratulations to this year’s recipients!
The Bright Future Scholarships are underwritten by a generous gift from Gift of Hope Organ & Tissue Donor Network whose mission is ‘To save and enhance the lives of as many people as possible through organ and tissue donation.’
Bright Future Scholarship Candidates must:
- Be a female high school senior.
- Be planning to continue her education, not limited to college.
- Be a resident of and attending high school in Boone, Winnebago, Stephenson, or Jo Daviess Counties.
- Maintain a 2.5 scholastic average or equivalent.
Criteria for award recipient selection
- Applicant should display leadership characteristics and the potential to affect change.
- Applicant should exhibit qualities including, but not limited to:
- courage and tenacity to overcome barriers and obstacles to achievement;
- creative thinking and problem solving;
- accepting and delegating responsibility;
- expressing concern and demonstrating tolerance;
- a commitment to diversity;
- strong written and verbal communication skills.
The following requirements must be met for application to be considered, all others will be rejected:
- All information must be typed or word-processed.
- An essay must be submitted and must be typed or word-processed on a separate sheet, double-spaced, and included with the application.
- The essay must be limited to one page, using a font size no smaller than 10-point and no larger than 12-point. Font must be Arial or Times New Roman.
- Applicant’s name must be filled in on each requested name field.
- The application MUST be reviewed and signed by the counselor and the applicant.
- The application should not be stapled, bound, or placed in a folder. Information not solicited (i.e., pictures, letters of recommendation, etc.) will not be considered and should not be included.
La Voz Latina Scholarship Candidates must:
- Be of Hispanic descent
- Be a resident of Winnebago, Boone, Stephenson or Jo Daviess Counties.
- Be an enrolled Senior at a Winnebago, Boone, Stephenson or Jo Daviess County high school.
- Have a minimum G.P.A. of 2.5 out of 4.0
- Fulfill all requirements of the application process
Criteria for award recipient selection
- Academic achievements which indicate a high potential for success in post secondary education
- Level of involvement in school and community activities.
- Completed description of projected financial needs as stated in part 2 of application.
- Strength of essay written for application.
- Demonstration of financial need.
- Submission of at least two letters of recommendation; one of which must be written by a teacher, school counselor or administrator.
- Classification as a graduating senior by the time award is granted, followed by enrollment at an accredited college or university.
- Each high school senior counselor is asked to help identify candidates for the award.
- It is recommended that candidates work closely with their school counselors while processing this application. A final signature from a high school counselor is required.
- All parts of the application must be typed. Handwritten applications will not be considered.
- Scholarship winners will be expected to submit a suitable photo and participate in one La Voz Latina youth project (4 hour commitment).
The scholarship committee will review all eligible applications. Candidates will be scored based on the quality of the overall application.
Applications are available beginning November 15, 2021.
Once available, applications can be obtained from our website, Facebook page, or your school counselor.